"Soiled in Syracuse" was the bad news. I also got good news today.
When I arrived at the Special Collections Research Center at Syracuse University, I found out that the Joyce Carol Oates Papers have been expanded to include papers up to 2023. Previously, they only went up to 1999, so that's all I expected to be consulting. Instead, Oates recently donated 24 more years worth of papers and the collection has doubled. I'm the first to get to consult the new material! As they knew I was arriving today, they hurried to get everything catalogued and ready. The collection is now composed of over 400 boxes. In the six hours I spent there today, I went through 4. I only have five days, so I won't even make a dent in it. But I'm having fun, though I already know that I'm going to want to come back.
It was a nice sunny day today and there were lots of pretty leaves on the campus. I snapped a couple of pictures as it's supposed to start raining tonight and continue every day for the rest of my stay here.

2 comments:
That's really cool that you get to be the first to go through all the new stuff!
Treasure Trove!
Post a Comment