It is very unusual for me to read x>1 book at once. (I'm a math-teacher-dork.)
Anyways, I usually like to read one book, finish it, and pick up another book. I never understood how Roy can juggle x>5 books without getting confused, but alas I'm doing it now myself.
Book #1= Uncle John's Bathroom Reader: Plunges into Great Lives
Book #2= "Why Are All the Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria?"
Book #3= Booknotes: Stories from American History
Reading 3 books isn't confusing, but it is taking much longer to finish than if I were only reading 1. I'm a bit impatient and want to just focus on one to get it over with.
Friday, March 25, 2005
Whatcha Reading?
Posted by
Nicole Tromble
at
5:22 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
You didn't define your variable, x. Oh, x is the number of books being read at a given time . . . I see . . . equations get confusing with undefined variables . . . what if x = number of clouds in the sky? Then, x > 1 book or x > 5 books don't make much sense.
Why are all the black kids sitting together in the cafeteria? I don't know, but someone (perhaps the author of that book) is giving a talk at OU next week with the same title . . . which is why I thought it might be the author.
Is someone forcing you to read all three at the same time? You seem frustrated by the situation, why not just put two on hold and finish one, maybe the one you are closest to finishing?
Getting back to the speaker thing . . . Neal Lane (I think that's his name) gave a talk at OU yesterday that I went to. He is the former head of the NSF (National Science Foundation) and was Clinton's chief science advisor (he's an atomic physicist). He's originally from OK and got all three of his earned degrees from OU. Most of the blog readers would be happy to hear that he had less than great things to say about W . . . and he made his point through remarking on Bush's ineptitude with regards to science and engineering (such as stuffing positions with less than qualified people who are aligned the "right" way, cutting funding for things like the NSF while increasing defense R & D (let's not kid ourselves, it's pretty much all D - development, as opposed to R, research), and taking a too conservative stance on things like stem cell research and the environment. The amount of money that goes to defense is absolutely ridiculous, it's more than a quarter of the entire budget . . . and when you consider that over (I think) half the budget is alright tied up in interest on the debt, medicaid, medicare, social security, etc., not much is left for the other stuff. Neal Lane seemed to think that funding for science, engineering, and technology might continue to get squeezed in the future . . . good news, huh Roy? Hopefully, there isn't another Bush on the horizon.
In other news, we made it to Texas. You know the saying, "Don't Mess With Texas!" Well, I have a proposed amendment: "Don't mess with Texas, it's ****ed up enough already!" Any number of different words would work in the ****ed spot, so insert your favorite. We stopped at a gas station in Austin last night, just after midnight. Apparently, we were in a ghetto area. We got gas and were going to go to the bathroom and get drinks, but they had signs on the bathroom doors that said they were closed from 10 PM to 5 AM, NO EXCEPTIONS! There was a Jack-in-the-Box next door, so we thought it might be open. Nope. It's 24 hrs, but the inside part closes at 12 . . . the drive thru was backed up, there were probably 15 cars in line . . . Jack-in-the-Box isn't THAT good! I thought maybe a whole bunch of potheads got the munchies and that was their only possible outlet. Additionally, we ran into a whole bunch of lights, when we got off the interstate at various places, that were the stupidest lights EVER! The cycles were really long . . . it was late at night, there were no cars. One, cars got to go through straight one way, then it switched and let cars go through the other way . . . problem was, there weren't any cars . . . all the while, we were sitting there waiting to go.
Jenn is currently reading "Dog is my Co-pilot," a book purchased for her by Aunt Meredith for Christmas. It is especially fitting, given the Jester and Justice were the co-pilots last night. Jester likes to look out the window. Justice got the prime real estate, being able to rest her head on the center console between the front two seats. Jester likes that spot too, but he knows Justice doesn't feel good.
Justice's foot is getting better. It would be really good if she didn't run on it, but . . . that's Justice, she likes to run. In the excitement of getting to Janice's this morning, she ran around on it enough to get it bleeding again, but she doesn't mind wearing a sock on it, which is a little bit strange.
Apparently, I should have made a post. Oh well. Maybe I can win the "Longest Comment Ever Award."
Et
Post a Comment