Sunday, December 28, 2008

Back to Norman (Normal)

We drove back from Pittsburgh on Saturday ... didn't want to miss out on all the rain! We were sailing through until we hit western Illinois and had to drive through a deluge. Fortunately, we didn't encounter downpours the rest of the trip, but we had about 300 miles of rain through western Illinois and Missouri that slowed travel to varying degrees, although it could have been much worse (if there had been accidents). We finally made it to Norman just before 11:30 PM (we left Roy and Nicole's just before 6 AM - although we moved from the Eastern to the Central time zones). If we had good weather (no major rain/wet roads) we could have been home well before 11 ... possibly closer to 10:30, which would have been nice.

But, it could have been worse, too. Traffic wasn't bad, aside from the random driver here or there who did something stupid (I'll let you imagine what that could be ... although I will note that people need to turn their lights on when it's raining!). We hit Qdoba in down town Indianapolis for lunch with relatively little trouble - had to drive around the block once to find a parking spot, but we got a good one on the round about! Unfortunately, the time I was going to have mom drive (after we got to St. Louis) didn't work out, so I drove about 1000 of the 1100 miles ... which would have been a lot easier if it hadn't been so windy (most of the way) and rainy/wet in PA, IL and MO! But, it wasn't icy, it didn't snow, there weren't any major accidents, we didn't have car trouble, we didn't get lost, etc.

The dogs were happy to see us and were glad when we only abandoned them for a couple of hours today to go to Sam's.

3 comments:

Galen Tromble said...

that's a marathon driving fear. We're glad it was a safe trip, even if not the most enjoyable driving conditions.

Galen Tromble said...

I meant 'feat,' not 'fear'. Hope you figured that out. Pity we can't edit comments.

Pam and I made it back to Silver Spring - we hit rush hour traffic which made the last 5 miles slow, but otherwise had good driving. No rain, but we did have to put up with Muskrat complaining - almost the whole 4 hours.

ET said...

Well ... fear works too ... I thought you were talking about the rain that we ran into: "Inclement weather is always a marathon driving fear because you cover so much area and are bound to run into some sort of system periodically, especially this time of year."