Dean and Dalrymple begin their work with chapters on wave mechanics, hydrodynamics and vector analysis, and small-amplitude water wave theory, before leading the reader on an excruciating voyage through later chapters. The pinnacle of the disequilibrium and discomfort for the reader is Chapter 11 - Nonlinear Waves. Additional topics covered in the book are engineering wave properties, long waves, wavemaker theory, wave statistics and spectra, wave forces, waves over real seabeds and nonlinear properties derivable from small-amplitude waves. There is a chapter on experiments at the end of the book that I did not read, because I'm not planning a lab course on water waves any time in the near future. However, it's there if you need it!
Unfortunately, I am unable to loan out this fascinating technical masterpiece, as my work with water waves will continue into 2009 (apparently, I'm going to have to do some problems out of the book ... uh oh!). Dean is involved in the hurricane work that Dr. Kolar is involved in, so Dr. Kolar put out a request for a solutions manual for the book, although I do not believe it has been fulfilled as of yet. However, anyone who comes to visit is more than welcome to peruse the book at their leisure. I don't want to spoil the ending or ruin the excitement of individual discovery, so I will bring my review to a close. I wait in anticipation for comments of others on this text.
Thursday, December 11, 2008
Water Wave Mechanics for Engineers and Scientists
Posted by
ET
at
10:13 AM
Labels: book review
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I loved this review! Thank you, Evan, for brightening the morning.
It's the most interesting book that I haven't read, and never will.
Dad
How can you make such a statement? Is it the most interesting book that you've bought, but haven't read?
Post a Comment