Instead of working today, I decided to go down to the school to work out. Granted, it wasn't until after 11 that I got out of the house. I didn't think I'd be able to jog, but I took my new shoes so I could work on breaking them in.
When I got down to campus, I found that the place I used to park is now a no-parking zone, unless there is an event at the stadium. So, I found a different parking spot. I also realized that my previous parking spot wasn't that good a spot anymore because of construction. The only place to access the HHC from Jenkins is through the openings to the parking lot; they have the side of the road all torn up.
So, no big deal ... I get to the HHC, go in, and swipe my one card. DENIED! Uggh. What now? I appealed to the lady at the front desk that my card didn't work. So, she swiped it on her machine and said it was registering as "Lost or stolen." Obviously, it was neither lost nor stolen. I was instructed that I needed to go to the One Card Office (in the student union a half mile away, up by my Carson Engineering Center office) to get it straightened out. Uggh. Big deal ... this could be a deal breaker.
Eureka. There's a number to call on the back of the card. So, I called and quickly got the issue resolved. Apparently, they are, to some extent, use or lose. I hadn't swiped my one card in a while, so I guess it got flagged as lost/stolen. So, now I have an active one card that will allow me to get into the HHC.
I wore my new shoes to work out and found that they made my ankle feel reasonably good. So, I decided to see if I could jog. Ehhhh ... kind of. I did 2 laps (1/6 mile each) on the track alternating between jogging and walking. Generally, I was able to propel myself, reasonably slowly, without my ankle hurting. This was a step in the right direction. However, my gait was weird and I couldn't fix it even if I concentrated on running normally. I'm guessing something subconscious was preventing normal jogging motion to protect my injury. I think my gait was minimizing the time that my weight was on my left (injured) side. Hopefully, as my injury heals, I'll return to a more balanced motion.
Monday, January 3, 2011
Five Fingers go to the Gym
Posted by
ET
at
1:15 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Glad you like your shoes. How do you like them, Roy?
I like them, but I haven't really exercised them yet. I'm looking forward to warmer weather.
They're designed to keep your feet cool, so when I wore them in the basement one day, my feet got cold.
Post a Comment