Sunday, August 25, 2013

Goodnight, Goodnight, Construction Site

Meredith gave this book to Andrew, presumably for his 4th b-day. It is a book, as you might imagine, about a construction site. More specifically, it chronicles a day (and night) in the life of five of the essential machines at the construction site.

The main characters - crane truck, cement mixer, bull dozer, dump truck, and excavator - all have unique skill sets which allows them to achieve a particular harmonistic synergy. Each of the machines knows where they fit in the construction sequence. They recognize critical paths, and they accept the responsibility to get the job done right, on-time, and on-budget!

The book presents the application of the unique skill set of each character, but also does a good job noting that each of the machines spends the night resting. For example, excavator spends the day digging in the dirt. But, at night, the excavator has to go to sleep so it will be able to be in a good mood, be able to focus, and have sufficient energy for the next day. This is similar to how Andrew spends his days doing his necessary tasks (bossing around Lucas, tiring out his parents, and mesmerizing everyone), but he has to rest at night so he isn't cranky in the morning.

11 comments:

Rone' said...

You neglected to mention that Andrew is also required to report all of the misdeeds (and imagined ones) of his little brother.

mt San Francisco said...

Having become very familiar with the book during my visit, I think Evan's review is a great critical success and quite insightful! Just FYI everyone, you may have noticed that I sort of shorted out on birthdays this year. So I am catching up when I visit, or in Maeva's case, since that would be at Christmas with complete present overload anyway, just for some random happy day. Please no hurt feelings... your calendrically challenged aunt.

Rone' said...

Gosh, Meredith! You were doing so well there for a year or two!

Janice said...

I asked Andrew what books Aunt Meredith brought them. He knew the title and all about his book. He knew NOTHING about Lucas' book - not the title, not what it was about - nothing. I thought that was funny, since he is normally in charge :). Obvioulsy, he loved his book more than Lucas' book...maybe the messages reflected on him too much :).

ET said...

He is just being Andrew. He knows plenty about Lost and Found. The last two nights, Andrew has requested the two new books and the Elmo book.

Galen Tromble said...

Perhaps he was just confused by it being called "Lucas's book." All the books are Andrew's!

Janice said...

Galen, I think you are on to something!! That comment made me LOL!!

mt San Francisco said...

So nice that they are enjoying the books! I thought "Good Night, Construction Site" was a pretty safe bet, but I wasn't sure about "Lost and Found." I had actually purchased something else, but took it back & exchanged it after I got it home and read the whole thing. Even cute puppy drawings can't completely save a poorly constructed story.

Tanya said...

You are welcome to visit anytime you'd like to bring Maëva a present!

ET said...

Is a present for Maeva a requirement for visiting.

Tanya said...

Certainly not (although she might think so!). However, a visit is a good way to deliver a present should there be one that needs delivering.