Sunday, August 25, 2013

Lost and Found

Lost and Found (Oliver Jeffers? - the book is in Lucas' room) is a book that Meredith brought when she visited. I think it was, roughly, a b-day present for Lucas.

Lost and Found is a story about a boy and a penguin. The boy finds the penguin, takes him back "home" to the South Pole, then realizes that the penguin doesn't want to live there and rights the wrong. The story ends with the boy and penguin returning home, together.

There are a few things to take away from the book. First and foremost, it IS possible to row a rowboat to the South Pole ... the boy did it in the story. Okay, I'm just seeing who actually reads these things. Now, on to the real messages.

1. Don't assume you know what is best for someone without asking them how they feel about the situation. The boy mistakenly thinks the penguin is lost. The penguin wasn't lost, he was lonely and looking for a friend. The boy could have saved himself a trip to the South Pole (no small feat) if he had realized the penguin wanted a friend, not a ride "home." I guess you could say "work smarter, not harder" for this one, too.

2. You never know where you will find a friend. It might be a penguin who shows up at your door. So, keep an open heart and mind ... don't judge a book by its cover ... those things. Good friends come semi-randomly ... definitely!

Ok, that's all I have for now. I thought I had another one, but it escaped me. Maybe I wrapped it in with one of the others.

2 comments:

mt San Francisco said...

It does emphasize how thoroughly he prepared for the trip -- testing his rowboat and packing everything he would need (although the illustrations seem to suggest that amounted to one umbrella). Mixed messages or an opportunity for the imagination -- who knows?

ET said...

It also says he checked it for strength ... I'm not sure how he did that. But, it is also a kid's book, so a certain level of detail (or lack thereof) is somewhat understandable.