Tuesday, April 15, 2014

So Long, Lyon

Yesterday was my last day in Lyon. It was the last class of the semester and I'll be on official maternity leave starting the end of next week so they can't ask me to go back up for exam sessions in May and June (although they haven't in the past and probably wouldn't have, anyway). My students took their final exam yesterday, so I pretty much just sat and walked around classrooms all day, cringing as I felt my ankles swelling up. You can't do much else while proctoring an exam. If the students notice the proctor being inattentive, they are sure to cheat and chat. Anyway, under the guise of celebration, perhaps, the SNCF treated me to a special train trip home last night: a 50-minute delay! So I got in to Marseille at 12:10am rather than 11:20pm and got home at 12:45am rather than 11:50pm. Apparently, the train ahead of us hit an animal and when that happens, they have to stop and verify that it was actually an animal and not a human. Hence, the delay. It's nobody's fault. These things happen. I just would have prefered it not happen to me as the train seats these days make my back hurt and my ankles were continuing to swell as I couldn't put my feet up. Oh well, home now and all is well. Once I've got the exams corrected, I'll be on "vacation."

2 comments:

Galen Tromble said...

Glad to hear you're home for "the duration."

Nicole Tromble said...

Eat some watermelon, helps with the swelling.