Monday, November 16, 2020

Sequestered in Seattle, Day 250

Another Monday. Back to work and back to school and no evident reason to go outside. It was rainy, anyway. I did look outside a few times.


I baked a rye loaf this morning. It turned out less dense than some other attempts I've made, but I'm convinced it was under-hydrated and consequently didn't rise as much as it would have. I don't know if I ever determined the right hydration when I was baking rye loaves before, but if I did, I've forgotten. I'll probably adjust next time by putting too much water in and then adding flour until it seems right.

I started work early this morning and went through some book shopping tabs left over from Saturday. I'm making progress, but still have some more work to do.

After work, it was time to make pizza. I made several new combinations, all of which turned out OK. I helped Nicole with her PTA password policy, and then we watched the last John Oliver of the season, at which point it was family reading time.

U.S. daily cases now average over 150,000, or 3000 per state. Nicole said Washington was over 3000 tonight, but our average is not quite that high yet. Unlike France, none of these numbers have turned any corners yet, and it sounds like the hospital situation in many places is dire.

On the other hand, there was news of another vaccine today, reporting an even higher success rate of 94%. I haven't examined those numbers at all, but it's certainly high enough to be effective. One commentator reminded me today that early on we had no confidence that a vaccine would even work, much less on this timeline. And the fall spike has probably accelerated this vaccine evaluation phase. Still, a great many people are going to fall ill before these remedies can take effect. It's a tremendous success and miserable failure at the same time.

5 comments:

Galen Tromble said...

I heard some details about the vaccine trial. The 94% number is based on a really small number of people - less than 20, I recall. Of course, no info on how long the protection may last. So, good news, but highly conditional at this point.

ET said...

So, like 16/17?

Roy said...

NYTimes article says 95 positive cases in their study, of which only 5 were the vaccinated group. That's very similar to the Pfizer study. And the confidence intervals around exposure in the vaccinated group are pretty tight, with almost 30,000 participants, so while 94.5% effectiveness is unhelpfully precise, there's a good chance it's in the 93%-96% range.

ET said...

Dad is fired as a fact checker!

Meredith Tromble said...

He might have been reading something about an earlier phase of the study...