Saturday, February 23, 2013

Saturday Dinner

Tonight I made this recipe:
Pork chops with red wine reduction sauce
  I also fried sliced potatoes with shallots and steamed some broccoli. The crux of the meal was the red wine reduction sauce with shallots, anise seed, garlic and chicken broth, which was quite delicious. (This was not a vegetarian meal). I did not follow instructions on the wine pairing though... I used an inexpensive Oregon Pinot Noir both for the sauce and to drink with the meal. I thought it was very nice. Pam says I can cook as much as I want.

7 comments:

ET said...

Could you substitute tofork chops to make it vegetarian?

ET said...

Could you substitute tofork chops to make it vegetarian?

Galen Tromble said...

You would also have to substitute for the chicken stock in the sauce, but perhaps vegetable broth would work. Hmm, perhaps some experimentation is in order.

mt San Francisco said...

We have been getting something called "Better Bouillon", which comes in a jar and has a vegetarian version. It is the best pre-prepared stock we have found, and would probably be yummy with those spices. I haven't been cooking a lot due to school (tonight was pizza and broccoli) but I'll take a whack at tempeh in red wine reduction sauce when I get a chance, and let you know how it goes. I think maybe tempeh would be preferred over tofu as it has a deeper taste.

Galen Tromble said...

Tempeh sounds interesting. I was not aware of its existence befor M's comment. Was I the only tempeh-ignorant Tromble?

ET said...

No, dad, you were not.

Galen Tromble said...

Whew!