Friday, February 8, 2013

Timing is EVERYTHING

First: feeling better. I took Justice for three one-mile walks today. She's been walk deprived over the last couple weeks. I think the neighbor probably played ball with her twice today, too ... so she got to enjoy a nice, sunny day quite a bit.


The other thing I did today was hold office hours. I held office hours from 5-6:30 PM. Why would I hold office hours on Friday evening? Well, earlier in the semester, students requested office hours on the front side of the weekend. My TA, Alan, holds office hours on Monday afternoons, and the homework is generally due Tuesday at the beginning of class.

I had quite the turnout for my office hours. Zero people came! I think the lack of interest probably has as much to do with there NOT being a homework assignment due this upcoming Tuesday (because the first mid-term is next Thursday - Valentine's Day ... I'm awesome!) as with the time of the office hours.

I used the time to finish reading Chapter 4 in the text and start writing out notes for the same sections. I was a little disappointed that no one showed, but I was happy to have the time to devote to future preparations, too. Oh course, I could have done THAT from home!

3 comments:

mt San Francisco said...

My experience with office hours has been that students don't come, then they want to talk after class or make special appointments at other times. Since every school seems to require that faculty hold hours, I usually just officially put them after class. Maybe we should be able to hold office hours through Google Hangout and do them from home anyway?

mt San Francisco said...

Oh -- and GLAD YOU ARE FEELING BETTER!

ET said...

I had them before class last year. It was ALWAYS packed. But, the homework was hard. And, people were lost.

I will never have them before class again.

I put them after class this semester, and I told people to tell me if they were coming, otherwise I'm just going to go back to work. So far, no one has come.