Sunday, July 14, 2013

Sesame Chicken and Whoops!

This afternoon, we spent a little while cooking. We tried the sesame chicken recipe that mom re-posted from someone else on FB. It was good, although we spiced it up with some sesame seed oil and a dash of cayenne pepper. I'm afraid it would have been overly bland as originally constituted.

With the rest of the chicken we had purchased from Sams, I made chicken for chicken tacos. You may be wondering why I didn't turn it into shrimp for shrimp tacos, or beef for steak fajitas, but only if you have been drinking or partaking in recreational drugs. When I got around to seasoning the chicken, I started with the cayenne pepper. Sometime between pulling it out of the cabinet and applying it, my mind shifted to the taco seasoning that comes in a similar container. A few shakes later, I realized the error of my ways. Whoops ... it might be a little heavy on the cayenne pepper. I took a few moments to recover mentally, then added some taco seasoning and a dash of chili powder. I let it simmer for a little while, then gave it a taste.

Fortunately, there was A LOT of chicken in the pan (about 3 lbs). So, it diluted the cayenne, which I hoped would happen after I realized how much I'd put in initially. On initial taste, I thought "Mmmm." I had tasted one piece, and it didn't seem overly hot (Note: I haven't been eating as much spicy stuff recently, so my threshold is down from the peak a few years back). However, over time, the intensity grew a little bit. Eventually, the tingling subsided and things were back to normal. So, it will be interesting to see how it goes in tacos. It will be cut further with lettuce, rice, tortillas, etc. But, there will be more than one piece. We will see tomorrow, I guess!

3 comments:

Meredith Tromble said...

Here's hoping your tastebuds survive the experience...

Tanya said...

Make way for the firebreathing Trombles!

ET said...

Ahhh ... no worries ... they were perfect!