It's been about a month and a half since the Seattle crew was here and we made the big pile of brush to burn for biochar. I had actually thought the burn would be an activity while they were here, but instead we got a foot of snow.
Since then, I added to the pile, and kept looking for a day with a convergence of several things: 1) It had been dry for a day or two (at least) to dry out the brush; 2) It wasn't windy; and 3) I had time. Many times we had a day or two of sun, and then when I thought I could do the burn it would start raining again, or be very windy.
Sunday turned out to be perfect. It hadn't rained for two days, the afternoon and evening winds were under 10 knots, and I had time after supper with the long daylight hours we have now. I was pleasantly surprised at how quickly the brush caught fire. I had used just a couple of pieces of newspaper crumpled up. This was a one match start.
Here's the finished pile this morning. For scale, you can see 3 of the 4 (I pulled one out in the process) metal posts where the ring was. There's a lot of really good charcoal (close to pure carbon), along with a few bigger chunks that didn't get fully burned, which is normal. Some I thought were way too big when I put them in, but I wanted to see what would happen.
So this worked out very well. I turned a huge pile of brush into a good amount of charcoal which, when crushed, is a great soil amendment. This is also a stable carbon form that will persist for centuries in the soil. I started at 5:30 pm and was done by 9:30. Burning the pile, feeding the kiln, took 2.5 hours; then I let it burn down for about half an hour, and the quenching process took another half hour.
1 comments:
Very cool to hear about this hot process.
Post a Comment