Monday, May 30, 2022

Remember to look up

Monday morning, I needed to go to the bookstore, and the weather was extraordinarily nice, compared to yesterday, so we decided to do one of the City of Seattle tree walks. It started at the library and circled around past the Spanish preschool. We took a short cut, because of our arrival path, and started at tree number five, but we found all the rest up to the final number twenty-six. We walked along several streets we've rarely or never been on. One of the most interesting, to me, was a block planted with alternating European beeches and Pacific dogwoods.


We backtracked to get to the bookstore. Rachel went in with me to take a photo but then left so I could look at books for her. It took longer than expected. I didn't remember all of what she already had. Meanwhile, Nicole had ordered lunch from Homegrown, but was worried about getting home in time to meet a contractor, so she left the kids outside and headed back. When I had finished, I walked with the kids to get the sandwiches and then home, arriving a few minutes after one.

We're going to get solar panels. Kevin from Solterra came to go over the possible configurations and their expected impact on our electric use. We made a deposit, but the expected install time is not until October.

I spent the rest of the afternoon around the house. Nicole and I planted the monkeyflowers she had acquired on Saturday and looked at things in the yard. Our baldhip rose is blooming. The flowers are small, but they smell nice.

Nicole took Lydia to Fred Meyer for some shopping, and dropped some recycling and clothing donations off at the transfer station. Lydia and Eric went to Coe when they came back.

After dinner, we started a Finders Seekers puzzle about Ireland that we've intended to do for a while. We made it through four of the individual puzzles so far, but there appear to be at least that many more. We had to pause for bedtime, since it's a school night. Colin and Rachel both had negative COVID tests. Rachel had taken a long nap this afternoon, and asked me to take her temperature before dinner. Colin and I are two chapters from the end of Harry Potter. Now I'm waiting for it to get dark enough to tell whether the meteor event is happening tonight. Anybody else watching the skies like the centaurs?

2 comments:

Tanya said...

I did not know about the meteor event.

Galen Tromble said...

Nor I. I don't know if it was clear enough here to see them.