I'm feeling a bit disgruntled because my phonologically motivated modelling of the English to Japanese transliteration process doesn't seem to be working very well. But, due to the poor performance on the test data (circa 1996 U.S. Senators), I have some interesting name manglings to laugh at. For example, take Frank Murkowski. A romanization of the transliteration of his name looks something like this: fu ra n ku - mu ru ka o su ki
When fed through my system, I get the (I think) rather humorous alternate name FRENCH MY OSCAR
But it might just be the disappointment talking.
Thursday, May 19, 2005
French my Oscar
Posted by
Roy
at
2:05 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
I like it!
Well, it made me laugh! I am sorry you're having problems with your experiment though.
I see a new party game in the works...what happens when you translate our names?
I'm afraid the results are not that funny for most of the Nothing But Tromble crowd. Meredith Tromble comes out as MERRILL EAST DANIEL. In fact, DANIEL is what usually comes out for Tromble.
Kristen, though, is a little better. She's rendered as BOSTON TRAIN BELL.
I ran everybody I could think of through. Kudos to Anwyl, whose last name comes through unscathed, Janice, whose first name does, and Pam, both of whose names are somehow deciphered correctly.
The rest (including me) are not worth mentioning.
Did you try Sylvain?
I like "Boston train bell"! I think we have a new nickname for Kristen!!
I did try Sylvain, though I can't be sure I rendered his name in Japanese correctly. I forget what it came out as, but whatever it was, it didn't strike me as interesting. Same with Jenn.
Post a Comment