So I guess I should blog about my experience in Paris. I'm sure you're all on pins and needles waiting to hear about it! Other than being pretty exhausted (because I only slept three hours before having to get up to catch the train Thursday morning and that was followed by a couple late nights in Paris) and the rain ruining my clothing plans (I had brought skirts and sandals so ended up wearing the same pair of pants for four days) things went very well. The Institut Catholique de Paris is a private university so very nice inside with lots of high tech equipment for giving presentations and my hotel turned out to be just a block away across the street. The people were very nice and the atmosphere was very welcoming and encouraging. I met an American author, Jake Lamar, who lives in Paris and talked to him several times. It turns out that he has met Joyce Carol Oates and they have mutual friends! Saturday morning because of a bunch of weird things happening I ended up presenting first. When the panel moderator introduced me she mentioned it was my initiation into the world of research, even though I told her not to! But the presentation went well, no shaky voice or hands or anything, and I got some good feedback at the end. Later that day my panel moderator, who was also one of the conference organizers, said that she appreciated my presentation and that it was on par with the work of other more experienced researchers so I was happy to hear that! Hopefully my paper will be published sometime later this year. Other exciting things I did in Paris include going to see Chris Lancry (the musician who played at the wedding) play at the Utopia and buying an illustrated detective fiction novella that I got signed by the author and the illustrator. Actually, I think those are the only two exciting things I did with my time in Paris. The weather wasn't nice so it wasn't really good for sightseeing. Otherwise just work work work. But hopefully I'll go back later this year. I'm working on another conference proposal now.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Hi Roy, I guess the orange is a little hard on the eyes, especially when there's a lot of it. Maybe I should just go back to plain old black until I can figure something else out.
How about this? Pale dull orange.
That looks okay. Would it work to make the font the lavender color of the date and time?
Might benefit from being bold . . . I think the lack of contrast makes it more difficult to read (in general), so bold helps make it easier to read (like mine : - ) ) . . . just a suggestion.
I like it. Much easier on the eyes than the bright orange letters on white. Is Evan the only person who has a problem or do others still object?
I think it is fine now. Evan's right that there's less contrast between the letters and the background than, say, black on white, but it is readable.
Galen
Tanya,
What a triumph! That's quite a curve to be thrown, to be the first one your first time doing it! The time you put into public speaking with Rainbow is paying off...congratulations.
Love,
Meredith
Post a Comment