Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Fun With Stairs

The title of this post may resonate a bit with the "Big Bang Theory" fans*. We have 3 branches in my division, each with 6 people, and each with a fish mascot. Each team picked their mascot, which are Wahoo, Barfish, and Pacific Spiny Lumpsucker. Yes, those are real fish. Anyway, to encourage people to get away from their desks once in a while and be more active, I initiated a friendly contest for the week. Each team has a sheet where they can tally floors of stairs that they climb during the day. I decided to throw down the gauntlet and be my own team. So far I'm in 2nd place. Monday I climbed 56 floors, Tuesday 70, and today 77, in spite of being out of the office all afternoon. I'm planning to hit 100 tomorrow. I started with the idea that I'd just do a few floors here and there, but quickly moved to coming all the way up from the 2nd floor (the first access point) to the top -- a total of 14 floors. So it's pretty easy for me to do that 4 or 5 times a day.

*Sheldon's "Fun with Flags"

8 comments:

ET said...

I went up to the "loft" at work today to get more computation pads and magazine holders. That's one flight for me.

I walk the stairs (rather than taking the elevator) when I go to OU, too. But, I don't do many stairs.

I have been working out, a little bit, regularly. Yesterday, Jenn and I did 20 continuous minutes of plank, burpees, push-ups, wall sits, and rowing (alternating back and forth between rowing and doing the other activities). Today, I front squatted 155 lbs, which wasn't too bad except on my wrists.

Jenn also planted a bunch of plants. We have some replacements for stuff that didn't make it last year, as well as some supplemental plants. We are trying to fill out the garden in order to give grass and weed less opportunity. We have found that lavender does very well here, so we got a bunch more of that, among other things.

Galen Tromble said...

Hmm.... Evan managed to morph the conversation from "stair climbing" to "crowding weeds out of the garden" in one post -- that may be a record of some sort.

ket said...

No lavender growing here, but I've been doing stairs, too. Today I walked from 4 to 1 and back twice in one round for the first time.

mt San Francisco said...

Uh-oh, I'd better get going on the stairs!

Galen Tromble said...

102 floors of stairs today. And these are large office building floors. I don't expect to do as many tomorrow, so this will have to be the record for a bit.

ET said...

I did 5 1/2 today.

Tanya said...

I go up and down the stairs at our house many times a day. Does that count?

Roy said...

They only count if you do. Count them, that is. I don't keep track, myself.