Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Occipital Neuralgia

Those of you who hung out with me on Sunday will remember that I was not feeling too well. I had head and neck pain and nausea. Unfortunately, these symptoms have still not gone away. I suffered through teaching on Monday, managing only to do a few stupid things in front of my students. I said "pronunciation" instead of "spelling" several times before I caught myself. Then I wrote "psypath" on the board instead of "psychopath" and didn't catch my mistake until over an hour later. Oh, well. None of my students seemed the least bit concerned about my paleness, excessive head holding, eye rubbing and aspirin drinking, so too bad for them. Yesterday morning, my headache was even worse, so I managed to get a doctor's appointment for the early afternoon. I was diagnosed with occiptal neuralgia and told to wear a neck brace to support my head. No painkillers were prescribed as the doctor didn't think they would have any effect. He did some acupuncture on me which did result in diminishing the pain somewhat. He thinks the pain will gradually go away, but much slower than it came. Once I'm feeling a little better, I'll have to do some physical therapy. He described the condition as a bit of tendon from my neck sticking into my brain and said it was sort of like tendonitis, but in my neck. So, I'm basically incapacitated for the time being as it's extremely hard to function with continuous head and neck pain and nausea.

4 comments:

mt San Francisco said...

Oh, dear. That sounds like all movement would be challenging, since the head moves pretty much whatever is going on...I guess that's the purpose of the brace. Did the doctor suggest icing at all?

ket said...

Sounds icky. Sending sympathy.

Tanya said...

Icing was not suggested. Yes, all movement is difficult. Bending down especially makes my head hurt. The pain does seem to be diminishing, albeit very slowly. Marie-Elisabeth gave me some stronger painkillers that also help, but they can only be taken every twelve hours and they don't last that long. Currently trying to decide whether or not to go to work tomorrow. If I don't, it will create a scheduling problem for end of semester exams. I'm taking Maeva to see the pediatrician this morning. We'll see how that goes, and then I'll decide whether or not I think I'm capable of making the trip tomorrow.

mt San Francisco said...

Let us know what happened! (When your head feels well enough sit at a computer.)