Thursday, March 21, 2013

Resolutions, Yearly Bucket Lists, Self-Improvements, Just Plain Learning Something New...

I have become addicted to pinterest.  I use it two ways; one, to eliminate all the paper mess that I accumulate from magazine subscriptions, etc.  (I find the save article, image, recipe online and pin it), and two, for inspiration (browsing other pins to see if anything seems interesting).  


This morning I came across this: 20 homemade bread recipes.  I am interested in the recipes, but that isn't what motivated me to write this post.  This is what caught my attention, 
"These last couple of days I found myself thinking what I'd like to learn this year.  What are my baking goals?"  
I am intrigued and think that I usually make unrealistic (or overly complicated or needing too much to actually accomplish over-and-over-again in order for it to become habit like exercise or diet) goals each year that in my mind need to start on January 1st without end.  The sad thing is I can keep it up for a little while, but something always interrupts the momentum and then my good intentions are scraped.  Now, I think maybe instead of setting myself up for failure, it would be better to make a bucket list sort of resolution.  Something that I can do anytime during the year and doesn't require a lot of commitment to accomplish so that when life gets in the way I don't feel like I have missed yet another year to complete my resolution.  

I have been thinking about this very thing when it comes to exercise/diet.  I am programmed to think that routine needs to start on a specific day, for me that is Monday.  If something keeps me from starting it on Monday, then I sabotage my efforts and think well I guess I have to wait until next Monday to start.  This isn't very helpful and there are only 52 starts in the year.  That is why I really like WOD because it can be done whenever, each day is different.  A few weeks ago, Roy and I started this routine, but found that most of the WOD needed modifications because we lacked the proper equipment.  Eventually we gave it up.  I've been looking for something that fits our situation better, but haven't yet tried anything... keep missing Monday.

Okay, so my lifelong battle with exercise/diet continues to be a problem and each year I end up breaking my resolution.  Taking cue from the Home Baking Roxana, I think if I can just shift my perspective of resolution making from a year long task to single lessons then maybe I will actually accomplish more and make better strides with self-improvement.  So now, I just want to brainstorm what I can and want to accomplish and create a bucket list for 2013, baby steps.

Does anyone have their own Bucket List?

5 comments:

mt San Francisco said...

Wow, what a great topic. I think I have a lot to say on this or at least something...want to think about it a bit & my friend Rachel from LA is supposed to call from BART any minute so may have to come back to it later. But you've got me thinking, too.

ET said...

Just fyi, there is a large archive of past W.O.D.'s at gzcrossfit.com.

If you just started and highlighted the ones that you have the equipment to do, you would probably have a bunch. Some you might have to tweak a little bit, but you could preserve the spirit of the workout.

I generally have most of the equipment to do the workouts. Unfortunately, I lack certain aptitudes. For instance, the W.O.D. the other day involved squat snatches with 115 lbs. I think I can snatch 115 lbs (close to my max). But, the squat snatch requires the ability to overhead squat the weight. I can't overhead squat 115 lbs (I can do 45 lbs okay, 65 lbs is about all I'm comfortable trying these days). But, I haven't met a deadlift amount in a W.O.D. that I couldn't do. So, it is a mixed bag.

Nicole Tromble said...

The site where we found our WOD was suppose to be achieved by a stay-at-home-mom-of-four who didn't have much time for working out. Many were good, but we had to modify all the running (we were doing it around 10 pm, so running outside was out of the question), we don't have an 18" box to jump on, but used the stairs, then there was throwing a heavy ball against a wall, the other exercise was pullups. Needless to say we were making more modifications and lost momentum. I just want to work out. Easy, no thinking, just get it done. With our schedule and 3 it seems like a good old 30 minute circuit might be more my speed.

Nicole Tromble said...

Bucket List Item:
We are the proud owners of Evelyn's piano. Sadly, aside from admiring it, I don't know how to make it sound beautiful let alone easy on the ears. So instead of being too broad with saying learn to play the piano, I'll say learn to play Happy Birthday. Because, honestly, when will I have time to learn all there is to play an instrument (my musical background stopped in elementary school with the recorder). Besides, I kind of like the idea of playing along while I'll sing to my children on their special day. Now, I can't say they will enjoy it, but...

mt San Francisco said...

That sounds like a brilliant goal! Achievable, enjoyable.