Monday, July 17, 2017

Growing Pains

This morning, the girls were excited about going to the beach with Gabrielle (she arrived yesterday for her summer visit with her grandparents). As they were rushing about getting ready (backpacks with hats and sunglasses), Maëva knocked a picture frame off a shelf in her room. It fell to the floor, breaking the glass. I scolded her and told her to leave the room. After picking up the pieces, I found her cringing in the hallway. She mumbled something about wanting to be an adult. I asked her to sit down with me to explain what she meant. Apparently, she wanted to do everything herself like the character Fancy Nancy in some of her books. When I told her that being an adult also meant thinking things through, going about them in a calm manner and knowing when to ask for help, she retorted that I never ask for help and always do everything myself. It is true that I do almost everything myself! However, I quickly tried to think of examples of times when I ask Sylvain for help: opening jars, lifting heavy things, doing cumbersome tasks that take two people (True, not a very extensive list. But in my defense, I'm just such a competent person!). Daddy even, I said, occasionally helps with groceries and errands when I don't have enough time. She seemed to accept that. However, Sylvain has now been warned that he might get asked about how he helps out!

2 comments:

ET said...

Uh oh!

mt San Francisco said...

It is wonderful that you are having these kinds of thoughtful conversations with your girls.