Wednesday, January 20, 2021

Sequestered in Seattle, Day 315

Wednesday morning we watched the inauguration, as promised. We tuned in just before 8:30, at which point Senator Klobuchar was already speaking. I don't know what time the broadcast actually began. We started at the kitchen computer, but moved downstairs to the TV during Jennifer Lopez's performance because Eric wanted to watch his show while he ate breakfast. I left to go to my ten o'clock meeting after the Pences rode away in a motorcade.


After lunch, sandwiches on fresh baked bread, I found an email from the bookstore, and as it wasn't yet one o'clock, Rachel and I took the bike to pick up her order. I rode down past Kerry Park on the (long) way home to see if the mountain was out. The sky was casting shades of blue and orange, but no volcano could be seen. However, around the corner, looking to the west, we could see just the tops of the Olympic peaks above the clouds, which was a similarly spectacular view.

Nicole has been dealing with some PTA drama this week. After her latest meeting about it this evening, she and I went to pick up dinner from Red Mill.

I read a long chapter from Utopia Avenue after dinner. It's the latest David Mitchell novel. Rachel finished one of the books, Fable, that we picked up yesterday (!). She's already completed nine books in 2021. Lydia finished the first Spirit Animals book tonight. It's a series with a different author for each book. She says it ended on a serious cliffhanger, and is asking for the next two. Colin is reading The Dragonet Prophecy, the inaugural Wings of Fire book. Eric didn't read today, but he has several more Nate the Great books to work on.

2 comments:

ET said...

PTA drama? No way!

Tanya said...

I think I turned the TV on about ten or fifteen after 11EST. It was just before Harris and Biden came out. I hadn't been expecting the ceremony to start so early. I paused the live TV and hurried the girls out of their bath to come watch with me.