Saturday morning presented us with our first frost in a while. The fava beans, one variety at least of which is supposed to be hardy in our climate, seemed to weather it OK. Then again, winter has been mild so far. I found a flower on one of the plants. I thought it might be a consequence of the recent warmth, but my gardening book says we might be able to harvest them in as little as a month, so maybe this is expected.
I talked to Uncle Kenny for a bit this morning. He seems to be doing well. Then we went to play kickball at Coe. We were joined by two sets of neighbors. I had to bring the boys home just before noon to use the bathroom. The girls followed soon after.
I made some gnocchi with sauteed vegetables for lunch. Then I spent much of the afternoon finishing Utopia Avenue. It's a historical novel, of sorts, about the music scene in the late sixties, but mixed in are some cameos not just of famous musicians, of which there are many, but also of a few characters from earlier David Mitchell novels, including Ghostwritten, Cloud Atlas, Thousand Autumns, and Bone Clocks. I find those kind of fun, even with the loathsome characters.
The kids made sugar cookies. It was mostly Rachel and Lydia, but maybe Eric also helped? We each had one for dessert, amid a family viewing of new Carmen Sandiego episodes.
The forecast suggests possible snow overnight. Clouds had not moved in yet, last I checked, but it could happen. The high is supposed to be over forty tomorrow, though, so I don't think it will last.
4 comments:
We had snow pretty much all day. I just got in from the second shoveling. I'm guessing 8" total. It fell in fine bits that looked like white rain as it fell. Not the large, floaty flakes.
If it snowed in the night, I see no sign of it now. It's raining this morning.
All the roofs--rooves?--were covered in frost when I woke up, but I didn't go outside so I'm not sure if there was frost on the grass. Probably.
Roofs and proofs are two exceptions to the f to ves plural rule. I just looked it up to make sure.
Post a Comment