Wednesday, March 31, 2021

Sequestered in Seattle, Day 385

Wednesday morning was the last day for the children to sleep in. I was downstairs before Colin, but he still got to his station looking for assignments before 8:30. We're not sure whether class will be at 8 or 8:30 tomorrow.


The principal's weekly newsletter said 83% of students will be returning in-person next week. I think we'll hear tomorrow how it will be organized and who will be teaching our kids remotely. Given the high opt-in rate, I don't expect they'll get to keep their current teachers.

There's still been no word about middle school changes, except that I received a text today saying grades 6-12 will have asynchronous work Monday through Wednesday next week while teachers are in training. They haven't asked about our intent to return, though.

After breakfast I went outside and watered the new plants that are in pots on the alley side. Unlike the rest of the new plants for whom the soil is still damp, they were looking a little dry yesterday, but they were in the shade so I waited. I didn't spend much time outside, otherwise.

Lydia had a school newspaper meeting with someone from the Seattle Times this afternoon. She has an article about birds in the current edition. See thecoetimes.com with "coe" as the secret code word and you too can enjoy her text and photos.

Nicole was hosting virtual multicultural night starting at 5:30 this evening, so Lydia and I went to pick up burgers at Red Mill. Lydia participated in the activities when we got home, but Colin just played Roblox with Eric. Nicole thought the event was a great success for those who attended, with lots of enthusiasm for sharing cultures, but wished more people had come to enjoy it.

After, we read another long chapter of our book. A funny bird joined the boat, and then Dido finally reached solid ground, in New Bedford. We may actually arrive on Nantucket tomorrow.

This afternoon, the governor pushed forward general vaccine availability to April 15. No word yet on how much contention there will be for appointments. Some results from vaccine trials with 12-15 year-olds are positive, as expected. The Seattle Times published an unhelpful article reporting that dozens of Washingtonians have been diagnosed with COVID-19 in spite of vaccinations. I don't know what they're hoping to accomplish. There was little or no emphasis on the preponderance of people in the opposite bucket, in my reading. The news here, if any, is how small these numbers are. More than a million Washingtonians have been fully vaccinated.

3 comments:

ket said...

Fun, enlightening article by Lydia -- I did not know that seagulls migrate! And the photos were a great contribution.

Tanya said...

Congratulations on your article, Lydia!

Galen Tromble said...

Fun article by Lydia the photojournalist!

Did you know that the most important food source for baby birds is caterpillars? Research has shown that it takes a pair of chickadees over 5,000 caterpillars to raise one brood of chicks. And caterpillars rely on native plant species - most imports are useless to them. So we need native plants for the birds to have the food they need to raise their babies.