Thursday, October 7th.
It was chilly this morning. The girls complained about the cold when I sent them out to feed the tortoises and take out the compost. A few minutes later, however, Maëva got all sulky when I made her wear a jacket over her hoodie because it was cold. Pre-teens, go figure. It was a clear, sunny day and it warmed up nicely into the 20s in the afternoon.
This morning, I dressed in a black dress, nude nylons and black leather shoes with a low heel. Halfway through the middle of my first class, I noticed when I went to demonstrate John Straker's tendon-cutting technique from "Silver Blaze" to my students, that I had a run in my nylons that I'd stopped with red nail polish. It was appropriately visible right above my Achilles' tendon, so I laughed it away saying, "Oh, I have a cut, too!" After a year and a half of not dressing for work, I had forgotten that I have nylons in my drawer that are now only appropriate for wearing with knee boots or pants. I was embarrassed enough to head into Aix at lunch time to purchase two new pairs of nylons and to change into one of them. I also took advantage of the outing to have lunch at a not-too-busy café and purchase a pair of brown and gold city sneakers before heading back to the university to get some work done.
Maeva had dance this evening. She was excited to report that they've started working on a dance to It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas for the Christmas recital.
There was quite a bit of Covid news today. Though transmission rates have stopped going down in quite a few départements, twenty-one have been added to the list for lifted elementary school mask mandates starting Monday, bringing the number now to 68. Maëva was hopeful this morning that mask mandates would soon be lifted for us as well and that she would soon be able to go back to the cafeteria because one of her classmates told her it could happen next week. I told her that was unlikely as our incidence rate is still above 100 and it would have to drop below 50. I'm going to have to have a talk with the girls to explain that even if it does happen, I might not necessarily let them go maskless at school or return to the cafeteria if they are still not vaccinated . . . What a fun time that will be!
In other Covid news, the tarifs for Covid tests were announced today. The cost will no longer be covered by social security starting October 15th: 22€ for nasal swabs and 44€ for PCR tests. The health pass has been extended for another month until November 15th. The authorities have also started recommending booster shots for healthcare workers.
0 comments:
Post a Comment