Saturday, February 5, 2022

Déjà vu all over again

I just completed past tense lessons for "voir" and "lire" that unexpectedly enlightened me as to the origins of "deja vu" in English.  It's a sensation I have been experiencing as my beloved place of employment is right back where we were in March 2020...in "merger" talks with the University of San Francisco, a private Catholic institution. At least we faculty were told it was "merger"...but the press release put out by USF talked about "acquisition." A significant difference, but I believe "acquisition" is the correct word, given the amount of money they are putting in to rescue the school (and get the real estate)... The happy talk about SFAI retaining its independence and culture could well be a temporary fig leaf over USF's need for more space, although there could be many interesting opportunities in "integrating programs." Whatever. We'll see what happens and I am going to try to remember to enjoy my last semester teaching at SFAI proper to the fullest.

1 comments:

ket said...

Headlines Google found mention "merge" - New York Times, "to be acquired" - ARTnews, "acquire" - The Business Journals, and "acquire and merge" sfist. Several more "acquire"s and a "takeover" follow. Cheers to enjoying life however it shows up.