Friday, August 7, 2015

A New Cousin

The only other kid in Ardêche was a nine-year-old boy named Jules. Jules is the grandson of David's first cousin, Nadine (Nadine is the daughter of Gu's twin brother). So I think that means that Sylvain and Jules' mom, Laure, are second cousins. I'm not that informed about geneology. Would that make the girls and Jules third cousins? Anyway, Jules was very nice and infinitely patient with the girls. He and Maëva drew pictures (he even drew one for Laureva), watched videos, played hide-and-seek, and gathered various plants to give as presents. Then they discovered they could use Franck and Loriane's tent as a bouncy castle! Laureva joined them and was tickled pink to be able to romp around in the tent with the big kids:

6 comments:

Rone' said...

I think if Sylvain is a second cousin, then the girls would be second cousins once removed. But I'm not positive.

Roy said...

If they're the same generation, sharing great-great-grandparents, then they are third cousins. Sylvain and Jules are second cousins once removed, because Sylvain is three generations from the common ancestors, and Jules is four. (Siblings can be thought of zeroth cousins, one generation from the common ancestors, in case that helps explain the off-by-one.)

Nicole Tromble said...

A bit confusing. So David and Nadine are cousins. David and Laure are 1st cousins once removed (same goes for Sylvain and Nadine)? Then Sylvain and Laure are second cousins? Sylvain and Jules are 2nd cousins once removed. Maeva and Jules 3rd cousins? David and Jules 1st cousins twice removed?

Roy said...

Correct. Not confusing after all.

ET said...

Huh?

Tanya said...

I get it. Thanks.