Saturday, we left Hays before sun rise. As a result, we got to see a spectacular red/orange sun and morning sky as we headed east towards Salina. It reminded me of grandma talking about how beautiful she found the Kansas plains.
We made it to Norman, dropped some stuff at the office for Cole, met up with mom, then headed to Pie Five in Moore to have lunch with Steve and do the car switch. It all went off without a hitch. I was headed back towards Utah about 12:30, flying solo in a different car.
I had good weather until I reached Goodland. There, a few rain drops turned into a decent rain, some thunder and lightning, and a period of strong wind. It wasn't the pouring rain that makes you slow down due to visibility issues, although some of my fellow drivers seemed to not know how to function in that environment; maybe the rain fried their brain circuits? The weather started to improve after I crossed into CO, and then gradually returned to normal partly cloudy conditions.
Both ways, I thought about getting off the interstate in Goodland, and potentially doing a drive by the old house. Both times, I decided against it. I have so many happy memories, and there's really not any significant positive that could be gained from it. I remember the DQ had closed the last time I was through; I'm not sure if there is a new one or not.
But, the weather in Goodland (and continuing west) did remind me of standing on the porch, watching the storm roll in from the west, enjoying the lightning and the sensations brought by the rainstorms. So, I had a reminder from G&G of some great times without the jaunt into town.
I made it to Laramie last night, then did the last 6'ish hours this morning. I'm not looking for another road trip anytime soon.
3 comments:
I thought you loved driving!
When we were in Boulder, I was always surprised at how freaked Colorado drivers got by any hint of snow.
The sky is the spectacular landscape feature of the plains. I'm glad you have those memories of your time with the grandparents, and that you made it home safely.
Post a Comment