Friday, January 20, 2023

Friday

Friday morning, Colin's class had a writing celebration. They've been working on their own books. I could have attended, but forgot about it. We heard from another parent that his story was funny, but he hasn't brought it home, yet.


I walked with Lydia to the bus stop and then looped back home. I was going to take a longer walk, but hadn't realized that Nicole was heading to school early for coverage, so I went straight home to be there for the cleaners. When I sat down to work, I learned Google laid off 12,000 employees this morning.

Fortunately, my position is intact, and my teammates as well, but I think there are others sitting near us who will be gone come Tuesday. I don't know yet who, though. I'm disappointed, because I doubt this was necessary. I realized partway through the day that I'm also annoyed because I have put so much work into hiring people. As recently as yesterday I was optimistic that leadership would remember the lesson of 2008, when they only froze hiring, and later regretted it. At least, that's how I interpreted it.

I stopped working around four and spent the evening finishing Breathless. Lydia has an early basketball game tomorrow.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad your position is intact. Will be interesting to see how it works out for them.