Saturday, June 22, 2013

Discover Oklahoma

We were watching some old episodes of "Discover Oklahoma" the other night.  One feature was Lavender Valley Acres, outside Apache.  We visited this morning.  www.lavendervalleyacres.com  They have been growing lavender there for 10 years.  Some of the "Spanish lavender" plants are quite impressive.  The owner is a gentleman from India who has quite an interesting background.  I now have several lavender plants to get in the ground ... maybe tomorrow morning when it is cooler!  They also raise peacocks and have several of the normal variety, a couple of white ones, a couple of white and blue, and at least one dark blue.  Very pretty.  They also have 4 peacock chicks that hatched recently, but we didn't get to see them because they are living in a box that is heated -- apparently the chicks need temps near 120 to survive! 

Our second stop was back at the fabric store in Cache, just to see what I might have missed on our first visit during the shop hop on June 1. 

Then we headed to Lawton, for lunch at "The Silver Spoon", which we also heard about on "Discover Oklahoma."  It's a nice little restaurant/bakery in what used to be an ice cream store or factory.  The food was decent and the building had a lot of interesting features to look at.  I only had one bite of my dessert -- a "lemon saucer", a lemon cookie with icing about the size of a saucer.  I brought the rest home to enjoy when I wasn't so stuffed.

2 comments:

mt San Francisco said...

Sounds like fun! And as if Provence has a little competition in the lavender farming sector. Pictures of peacocks etc. welcome!

Rone' said...

Unfortunately, my camera was in the car. I took a couple of peacock pictures with my phone, but I don't know how to post them on the blog easily. I'll have to see if I can email them to myself and save them, then maybe upload them.