Wednesday, June 19, 2013

"Rumble in the Jungle" by Gilles Andreae

Maëva has recently branched out a little in her reading. She will now listen to more than just one story ("What Shall We Do, Blue Kangaroo?") and has developed a new favorite: "Rumble in the Jungle." She calls is something like "wumbul in jungul." This is a rhyming book (which makes it fun to read) about a mixture of jungle and savannah animals. Maëva knows what all of the animals are called: monkey (for both chimpanzee and gorilla), lion, elephant, hippo, crocodile, gazelle, snake, giraffe, rhino, zebra, leopard, tiger (I think that's all). She also knows the sounds they make. For awhile, she would growl for the lion and meow sweetly for the tiger. But the last few days, she's begun growling for the tiger as well. Sunday morning, Jenny and Rosie came to visit. Rosie (9 years old) read Maëva the story, which used to be hers. Here's a photo of Maëva doing the elephant and saying "Arooooo":

In their matching pink flip-flops and sunglasses, the two girls looked very cute together. Maëva hasn't stopped talking about Rosie since.

5 comments:

Galen Tromble said...

Super cute!

Janice said...

yes, very cute!

Jenny said...

I picked it up as something more like "Wumbo Jungo" which is possibly even cuter?!

Rosie definitely enjoyed her role as the 'big girl' :)

Meredith Tromble said...

I think we need video so we can settle this question once and for all...is it "wumbul in jungul" or "wumbo jungo"? It could be important for those of us with ambitions to speak fluent Maëva!

Tanya said...

Jenny is probably right. Or it might be something that's in between the two. It's hard to decide on the proper transcription of kidspeak. There's a video on Google+, but I don't think she says the title in it. I'll try to get her to say it again this afternoon . . .