Friday, July 13, 2018

University Job

Towards the end of May, I got word that the English department in Aix was recruiting another agrégé teacher for next school year. I applied and was ranked first due to my ranking on the Agrégation exam last year. No interview process this time. It's just a one-year contract. But I accepted after learning that the other job had been taken by the first ranked candidate. It's still better than no university job. I'll be teaching English elective classes to students from other departments (LANSAD classes). General English Review to freshman and literature classes of my own to sophomores. I'll be teaching American Detective Fiction first semester and American Romance Fiction second semester. The second semester class is linked to my new Oates research project, so I'm trying to kill two birds with one stone. The good thing about these elective classes is that they are only held 10 out of the 12 weeks of each semester and the teacher can choose the dates, so I can be pretty flexible if anyone comes to visit! I don't have to set the weeks ahead of time. Plus, I have Fridays off. In addition, I've taken on three translation classes for the distance learning service. One first semester and two second semester. Classes start September 10th so I'm busy starting to get my detective fiction class prepared.

5 comments:

Rone' said...

Congrats!

Galen Tromble said...

Hope you have a great year!

Meredith Tromble said...

This sounds like the most interesting teaching load you've had yet -- congratulations!

ET said...

Yay!

Roy said...

Best wishes for a great year, and here's hoping for an even better opportunity next year.