Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Lascours Lockdown, Day 101

Tuesday, June 23rd. Reopening Day 44. Sunny day with cicada song. Supposed to be hotter than yesterday with a high of 31°C.
I found out today that one student each at two different elementary schools in Marseille tested positive for Covid-19 last week. The schools were closed and the population quarantined for two weeks. The protocol is apparently for extensive cleaning of the buildings and testing of the entire population involved. Once all test negative, the schools may reopen. One has apparently already done so, the other not. Our cleaning lady also indicated that something similar has occured in Aix. However, I couldn't confirm this information from my very cursory web search.
In spite of the recommendation from the headmistress, elementary school parents here are not wearing masks as they crowd together outside the gates at drop-off and pick-up times. I continue to do so as I believe it's the right thing to do and I also want to set a good example. However, I don't think anyone is taking my lead. One dad remarked to me this morning that he didn't understand all the rigamarole. When I explained that they were trying to keep class groups separate for easier isolation and contact tracing in the event a case does present, he seemed to accept my explanation as valid.
Listening to the news while preparing lunch I heard Texas has surpassed 100,000 confirmed cases. Texas has a population of 28 million. I find it somewhat reassuring that France, with a population of 67million, is still under the 100,000 mark. 

Sylvain got new frames for his glasses this morning with red ear pieces. He stepped on his old ones Sunday morning, snapping the frames in three pieces. As he wanted to keep his lenses, his choices were very limited. The red is flashier than what he typically chooses, but he can't go without glasses and we girls find them quite fetching. 
The books the PTA ordered for Laureva's class arrived today. Thirty-one copies of C'est quoi un bon élève? I printed out the personalized labels and started sticking them in so the teacher will be able to pass them out before the end of the school year. I had to wait for the delivery man for nearly thirty minutes down by the mailbox in the hot sun. There was a problem with the way the address had been entered in his system. But I really wanted those books, so I stuck it out!
Yoga inside to avoid the heat. Then a haircut before picking up the girls at school. 
Envelopes from Evan, Roy and Mom arrived in the mail today. Yippee!
I finished correcting the last of the extra texts I gave my Masters students preparing for their teaching exam. Nine weeks of extra work that was appreciated at least by some. Another nice message from a student today: "I hope you'll enjoy your holidays. Thanks again for the words of advice and not letting us down during these two/three long months of self-isolation."

4 comments:

ET said...

New York has almost 400 million confirmed. The population of NY is like 20 M. So, France is way better than that!!!

Roy said...

Massachusetts also has more than 100 thousand cases, with a population of under 7 million.

New York and New Jersey still have the highest per capita case counts, at about 2%, but they're also both still seeing declining new cases.

Texas is only at about 0.41%, slightly higher than Washington State (0.38%) and lower than California (0.47%), but it's also seen a sudden increase in cases, so that won't be true for long unless they make significant changes.

ET said...

California is climbing, as well.

ET said...

So is Utah.