Saturday, June 20, 2020

Sequestered in Seattle, Day 101

Saturday was a pretty laid back first day of summer vacation in our ongoing spring break. Nicole took some knives to be sharpened and picked up Giddy Up for lunch. Lydia got the white bean and quinoa veggie burger, and gave it a thumbs up. I ordered the "vegan" burger, which I think was an Impossible burger, but honestly I wasn't sure they got the order right. I think I'll stick to the regular veggie burgers in future so I can be sure I'm eating plants.


I did some weeding in the yard today, and also found that two more of Rachel's sunflowers had gone missing. One had the seed leaves removed from the stem. The other was just gone. Fortunately, a new sprout had also appeared, so we have two, at least. Tonight we're trying covering them, since the nibbling seems to always be nocturnal.

After dinner, we all went out to ride bikes. Rachel and Lydia went with Madeline and Emma again, while the rest of us rode around separately. The kids opted to stay out on this solstice evening, rather than starting another movie at eight. Nicole and I watched some news comedy after we came back.

Immediately after writing yesterday's predictions, I wanted to revise the morbid one to say not more than three hundred over the interval. That will be easier to measure, anyway.

I thought a bit about political predictions. It seems increasingly likely that Biden will choose a woman of color as his running mate. This led me to think about Trump's running mate, and speculation whether Pence would be thrown under the bus for COVID-19 failures. I don't think that's likely enough to predict, though. The one thing I will predict, at the intersection of pandemic and politics, is that questions of safe access to voting will not be resolved by September 27. I remain grateful that Washington is a vote by mail state.

Once upon a time, some wise people said that if we did things right, it would look like the virus was no big deal, and people would wonder what all the fuss was about. From my perspective, we missed the mark on that premise by a long shot, and yet many people seem to be behaving now like this thing is mostly behind us, and not so terrible after all. I predict some states will reinstitute stricter controls by September 27.

4 comments:

Tanya said...

Hope you manage to save some sunflower sprouts.

Galen Tromble said...

Good plan to cover them at night. Help them through the vulnerable stage. Do you have rabbits around there?

Roy said...

Yes, there are rabbits around, though we've never seen them in our yard. That's one of my leading suspects.

Roy said...

They survived the first night, at least.