Tuesday morning there was no wind to speak of, and the day would be bright and sunny, though chilly. However, a low battery in one of our alarm sensors set the console to beeping in the middle of the night. Fortunately, this time I knew how to disable it so I could go back to sleep relatively quickly. Later, I think, Nicole was laughing in her sleep. She did not remember why, when I asked later. What will 3 a.m. tomorrow bring?
Nicole went to pick up some new light switches after the kids were at school. The light above the computer in the kitchen has been acting up. I installed most of the new switches this evening, and they're working, though it was more trouble than I expected.
When Nicole came home from shopping, we went out for lunch. We went to the pub on the Avenue, and sat outside. It was a little cold, but we survived. I got to present my vaccination status for the first time, using the app on my phone, but the hostess said it wasn't really necessary since we were outside. After lunch, we stopped at the book store and the library before returning home. I got back to work.
Nicole went to the school after dropping the kids off at Spanish to see if she could find Eric's snack container. No luck. He came home yesterday without it, and reported that he couldn't find it after recess. They eat their snack outside at the beginning of afternoon recess, the same recess, ironically, when we couldn't find him.
Rachel had an orthodontist appointment after school. She reported having a quiz in math class and feeling well prepared. I guess all that homework over the four day weekend was effectual.
I spent my whole evening on light switch installation, but now we have a dimmer in the dining room, no more flicker in the kitchen, and a remote for the basement, so it was probably worth it. The original remote for the basement lights has been missing for a few months. It may yet turn up, but the new switches also came with remotes, and we don't really need them.
I came upstairs after bedtime and read to Colin for a little bit. We read a chapter in The High King about Kaw the crow, and then started the next, about Taran, but Colin was soon asleep. I finally finished The Ministry for the Future last night after writing my post. It explores a possible future for humanity addressing climate change. It's optimistic, while trying to be practical. I think it's too sanguine on blockchain technology, but maybe the rest of the story doesn't really hinge on that. I think it ascribes too much power, or at least control, to the central bankers to begin with. It's probably worth reading, to contemplate possible futures with, but maybe there are comparable options with stronger execution.
0 comments:
Post a Comment