Thursday, November 25, 2021

Thankful in Seattle

Thursday morning, I woke up at seven, but didn't immediately start the day. I think I worked on the crossword puzzle first. After breakfast, we had some time before Tanya got home. I read books for a while before my family found me. In addition to Gods of Jade and Shadow, I've also resumed Finding the Mother Tree since finishing Genji. I'm enjoying them both.

I helped a bit with the cooking, handling the dough portion of the lentil stromboli. Nicole followed a recipe that called for a Pillsbury pizza crust. I thought that was a little silly, but went along with it.

I started a jigsaw puzzle as well. Eric, Colin, and Nicole worked on it with me. It's only 500 pieces, so finishing the edge was not too difficult. We assembled a few other small sections before moving on to other things.

Dinner happened at about five. We had turkey breast and cranberry-blueberry sauce, cardoon stuffing, orange-glazed sweet potatoes, and the stromboli. There was apple juice for the kids and cider for the adults. Rachel and Lydia, at least, kept asking for more food. I stuck to one serving, to limit heartburn later.

Next, we watched The Fellowship of the Ring, which is twenty years old this year. If I remember right, it was released shortly before the Christmas I spent in Switzerland, France, and Germany. The kids had never seen it. I didn't remember parts either, and thought we might have been watching the director's cut. I don't think so, now, though.

When the fellowship arrived at Rivendell, we paused for dessert. In spite of all the misgivings, the pie was well received. The extra spices, though detectable, were not a distraction. Colin didn't like his, but we hadn't expected him to. I traded him the rest of my whipped cream for his remainder. Eric didn't even wait for a fork, and asked if I could make it again.

After the movie, I started work on the Stollen that will cure until Christmas. Tonight was just creating a levain and soaking the fruit. More mixing and baking will follow tomorrow.

I hope everyone had a joyful Thanksgiving. There's a lot to be thankful for in spite of everything.

4 comments:

Tanya said...

Yeah for your pie!

Galen Tromble said...

We're back at Rob and Erin's to help set up the Christmas tree. Yesterday most of Anna's dinner was repeated helpings of Pam's cranberry sauce and of the Rediwhip topping for the pie. She ate the pie too, but the topping was eaten by the handful. Shed never seen the canned topping before and squealed excitedly each time it appeared with a whoosh.

ket said...

A classmate who lives near my hotel came over and we swapped Bars and some other fun things. After she left I had just enough time to walk to Whole Foods before it closed early for Thanksgiving. Got a kale and fall vegetable salad for dinner (the squash and beets called me; didn't realize the green was kale until I started eating) and stocked up on munchies for the week. I have a mini-fridge but not a microwave.

mt San Francisco said...

I remember canned whipped cream being pretty exciting, too! That was lucky about Whole Foods being open...I remember one Thanksgiving in Norman where hitting a Starbucks for a jalapeno pretzel was, for reasons I don't entirely remember, the option. I think maybe massive icestorm shutting everything down.