Sunday, May 21, 2023

With a name like Noah

It finally rained on Sunday, after a long dry spell. We came out of the house concert early this evening, and it was drizzling. That was in the neighborhood just south of Magnuson Park. But the ground was still dry at our house. However, the rain has followed us here by now. I think the yard will be happy.


The concert was our only outing of the day, beginning at 3. Noah's tango band is called Síncopas, and this was their first public performance. He played mostly clarinet, and soprano sax on a couple pieces. He was joined by an electric piano, an electric guitar, and a violin. The violinist played a drum machine a couple times. They played mostly tango music, though not all of it was meant for dancing. One was a tango adaptation of the theme from the Legend of Zelda video game series. They also played "Africa", an 80s pop song. The audience didn't quite fill the fifty seats, but they were loud and appreciative of a good performance.

We tried to stop and get pupusas on the way home at a restaurant in the University District, but it was unexpectedly closed. Instead I gathered some ingredients from Ken's and we improvised a meal to accompany Rachel's black beans. Their strong flavor proved a good base for tacos.

After dinner we managed to squeeze in the new episode of Demon Slayer, but didn't have time for reading with the boys.

3 comments:

mt San Francisco said...

As I recall, you are a good dancer...is tango in your repertoire?

Roy said...

I would not say so. Nicole and I took one several-week tango class when we were in Baltimore, from an instructor that Noah and Karen knew, but I don't think we made a lot of progress, and we didn't sign up for subsequent sessions because the social mixing aspect of the class was not for us.

Roy said...

Oh, I guess we also had a single-session lesson as part of the festivities for Noah and Karen's wedding. I don't remember whether that was before or after the class.