Wednesday, break day thirteen, started with board games with France. I was hoping to play Sushi Go!, but Board Game Arena doesn't have the party version that we have at home, and we discovered that the original version supports only five players, instead of eight. But it seemed like Incan Gold worked out OK.
I moved on to baking, next. I found a new pulla recipe that is meant for sourdough, since I found I didn't trust the old reference recipe I had used. It was inconsistent about the number of eggs involved. I got that started, and also mixed up some ordinary bread. The pulla is for New Year's Day, but I'll be able to bake it tomorrow.
The day was rainy outside, and mostly uneventful for me. I spent some time reading. Nicole took Lydia and Colin to the dentist in the afternoon, but first picked up the mugs that Lydia's friends painted yesterday, then took Rachel with her to Issaquah to drop them off at the pottery studio after the dentist. Rachel also dropped off a t-shirt she painted for her friend Nadia.
Lydia got another couple birthday gifts from friends today, including another stuffed skunk. I found her in my bedroom in the afternoon photographing her family of skunks from her tripod. Her new desk arrived today, but when Nicole and I went to assemble it, with Lydia's help, we found that one of the pieces didn't have the right set of holes pre-drilled. Hopefully we can arrange for a replacement tomorrow, or I'll have to try to modify the piece myself. In the evening, Lydia had another virtual sleepover with her friend Penelope.
The rest of us watched Justice League after dinner. Eric fell asleep. I think the others agreed that it was more enjoyable than WW84. I especially liked the Flash. We watched a couple episodes of The Mandalorian after that, because it wasn't late enough yet, I guess.
Yesterday's topics of Lydia and the snowy owl should have sufficed to remind me about her pun on Santa Claus. The snowy owl's scientific name is Bubo scandiacus, and she started singing, "(Bubo) scandiacus is coming to town!" The force is strong with this one.
10 comments:
How big is the skunk family?
I can't seem to get a satisfactory rhythm down for singing that.
Scan-diacus is com-ing to town!
1 + 2 + + 3 + 4 +
I think that works?
The skunk family is three big. Lydia has a small ornament the size of her palm, then a larger one that fits in both hands (I think), and the last is larger than her hands. I believe.
Basically you replace "Santa Claus" with "Scandiacus" so you make it fit in those three syllables.
Does Lydia have any pictures she'd like to share to the blog? I'd enjoy seeing what she's seeing.
quarter-quarter-eighth-eighth quarter
scan - di - a - cus is
That's how I'd do it.
Oh actually, Grandpa, I think that makes more sense than what I did. That sounds right.
The part of "Santa Claus is coming to town" I was thinking of has the very long "Saaaaaan" followed by the very short "-ta Claus". I offer this syllable mapping as an alternative, enabling substitution into any song that mentions the jolly old elf.
San => Scan
ta => dia
Claus => cus
Roy - sounds right, though I think the "very long" "San" is just an eighth note longer. As I hear it in my head, "San" starts on the last eighth note of a measure (commonly called the "and of 4" since we're in 4/4 time), and ties into the first quarter note of the next measure. That puts dia as two eighth notes (beat 2), and "cus" on beat 3. I do think that flows better than my first suggestion. It's easier and clearer in musical notes than to write out, for sure.
Roy's explanation enabled me to sing it satisfactorily. Thanks.
Post a Comment