Tuesday, September 28, 2021

Moving Chronicles - September 28

Last Friday I took a load to the transfer station. In the process, I rolled the van window up and down a few times so I could talk to the staff at the various stations. They monitor what gets offloaded, to keep the recycling streams from contamination. 

To be accurate, I rolled the window down n times, and up n-1 times. Halfway up the last time there was a clunk inside the door and the window stopped. I reached over, gave it a jiggle, and it fell down into the door. I drove home with an open window, taped a piece of plastic over it, and called the car repair shop. 

Yesterday after yoga I took the car to the shop. It's in Wheaton, a few miles up Georgia Ave. Pam had her personal training so couldn't shuttle me, so I ran home. There's a straightforward route from the car shop to Sligo Creek trail of 1.3 miles. Then I ran upstream to University, and then all the way down to home. Likely this will be my last time on that stretch of trail, as I'm usually not running on the trail because it's too crowded for me. 

We close on the White Salmon house this week, and there's been a flurry of emails and phone calls about that. Due to a cascade of mortgage rules triggered by the current interest rate being 0.25% higher than last summer when we initially did the disclosures, an extra day was added to the process and our document signing, originally scheduled for Wednesday morning, is now Thursday at 11am. 

I talked to the moving company again, and added more things to the original list. Exact date for the movers to arrive isn't known - still the October 13-15 window. I also got the shipping arranged for Zippy (the electric car). 

Also yesterday, we learned that the two largest places for furniture donations in the area won't take the couch and love seat due to the cat scratched upholstery on the back (not a huge surprise), and that they are currently scheduling pick-ups for things they will take in ... December. That doesn't fit our schedule very well, and I haven't figured out what to do out it yet. 

Today will be a lot of calls, emails and posts to find homes for more things we aren't taking, and some packing as well. 

One more goal for the week is to finish identifying everything that needs to be packed. I still have one closet upstairs and a lot of sheet music - some mine and some Pam's to do. Then I think the rest of the packing will be easy to get done the following week. 

4 comments:

Tanya said...

Sounds like a lot of progress has been made.

Rone' said...

Do you have a Habitat for Humanity chapter that might take donations? We have a local Habitat store, but I don't know what they will accept.

ket said...

Craigslist? Freecycle? Facebook buy-sell-trade group? Curb?

Galen Tromble said...

I've been moving a lot of small items out using the Facebook Buy Nothing group and Marketplace. They seem to be the most effective channels in this area.

Jan, a person who works with the real estate company and helps clients with such things for a reasonable fee, found a solution for the bigger items - many of which are too big and heavy for us to move out of the house ourselves. There's a group here called Wider Circle that gets donations and then immediately places them with people who need them - a slightly different model than Habitat, which gets the items and sells them in their "ReStore." Neither Habitat nor Wider Circle could come pick things up until December, but Wider Circle will take things that are brought to them. So we just have to pay a couple of guys with a truck to do the moving. That's going to happen Saturday, and the house will be MUCH emptier afterward. Except for 3 or 4 things, everything left is something we're moving.