Wednesday, June 29, 2022

Replay

Wednesday morning I walked to work despite news that some people were having trouble with their badges. There was a chance I would have to turn around and walk right back, but I decided the exercise was worth it. My badge worked fine, though.


After work, Nicole had a massage and Rachel ordered dinner from Malena's, which I picked up on my walk home. We ate quickly so we could catch the bus for another Storm game. I thought we would have to leave before Nicole got back, but she arrived right at six. Colin stayed home with her, but Eric went with me and the girls to the game. Nicole watched the game via Prime Video.

There was another family in the bus clearly headed to the same game, but at almost every stop someone got on wearing a Sounders jersey. We surmised that they were playing, too. Some of the same people were on the bus ride home, and we learned that the Sounders had lost.

The Storm did not lose. Despite a good start, they trailed for most of the first half, though never by more than five or six points. The deficit was two at the end of the first quarter and three at the half. But the Storm went on a tear to start the third quarter and built an eleven point lead without the Aces scoring, though they gave most of it back in a similar run for the other side. I think the Aces had the lead again when the third quarter ended. But the fourth quarter was all storm, and Breanna Stewart had two big three pointers in the stretch when they pulled away, building a seven point lead, and ultimately winning by ten. This gave Sue Bird the most wins in WNBA history.

I think Eric enjoyed the game, but he was a bit needier than the girls. I picked him up when the crowd was standing, so he could see. That's no big deal. Partway through the first half he was thirsty. Rachel found him a cup of water. Then he got hungry. He hadn't wanted to eat dinner right away, and ended up not having enough, I guess. I didn't want to brave the crowd at halftime, but he got upset in the third quarter, so when it ended we went and got him a slice of pizza. We made it back to our seats just in time. He spent the whole fourth quarter eating it. It was probably worth the $11.

We scanned our Orca cards with the FareBot app on my phone this evening before starting our bus ride, and I noticed that Lydia's and Rachel's had no charge for their rides last week. I had thought the free rides for minors weren't going to take effect until the end of the summer, but it looks like they're already here. No complaints from me—I always thought it was a little perverse that families were incentivized to drive because parking is per vehicle but the bus costs per person.

3 comments:

Tanya said...

Eleven dollars for a slice of pizza?

Galen Tromble said...

They only sell extra premium quality pizza at sports events. Also, it's what we do in America - take advantage of captive audiences and extract the most we can from them.

LEAF said...

Sounds like a great time! Cool to hear about the free rides for minors.