Saturday, June 25, 2022

Upside-down

Friday morning, Nicole took the kids to Golden Gardens, including one of Rachel's friends, to get out of the way of the cleaners. I was working from home today because my desk was in the process of moving at the office.


Nicole sent me an article from the beach announcing the overturning of Roe v. Wade. I can't say I wasn't warned. It was weird to see coverage of women celebrating. That seems like the media taking the "pro life" movement at its word, which I suppose is what they do, but still. Many horrible predictions followed, most of which won't come true. But some of them will if we don't work to stop them.

Meanwhile, I ordered an Orca card for Eric, so he can use the bus system. Before the pandemic, he rode free because he was under 5. Soon he'll be able to ride free again, but he'll need a card to do it. King County is complying with a new state requirement that children under 19 ride free in order to get its full transportation grant. Also before the pandemic, we had to apply in person for a children's Orca card, but today I just uploaded a copy of Eric's birth certificate, and they'll send the card in the mail.

If that all seems rather mundane compared to the call to action in the previous paragraph, well, I can't argue with that. I still have to eat lunch, though. So I did. And then did my biweekly demo of work accomplished during this "sprint".

The family returned in the afternoon. Rachel waved from outside my window, and Lydia came into the room while I was presenting to colleagues, but left again quietly. Eric had a friend over. They played some four square while I snacked on an apple in the back yard. The weather today was pretty warm. It's supposed to top 80 tomorrow.

3 comments:

Rone' said...

99 here at 6 p.m. Saturday. I went out to work in the back a little bit this morning. It was 78 at 6 a.m. I didn't even last an hour.

Galen Tromble said...

We're forecast for 94F the next two days, a six degree increase over today. The summer pattern is outdoor work in the morning until 10 at the latest, then again from about 7 pm to dark. Those times can be quite pleasant.

mt San Francisco said...

I appreciated this guest column by Mary Pipher today, in regards to keeping going in the face of the challenges to our democracy and our environment. I'm grateful that someone took the risk to forewarn us about the Supreme Court decision. https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/28/opinion/coping-climate-war-happiness.html