Wednesday, August 22, 2018

No More Braces!

Yesterday morning, I got my braces off. I still need a retainer, but I get that tomorrow. My dad, Lydia, and I walked to drop off my dad at the dentist, and walked another two blocks to get to my orthodontist. Lydia had the choice to go back and watch, but decided to wait in the lobby and play with the games. They removed the braces which was a little painful, but then they had me brush so that they would be smooth. I brushed, and then they polished them so that the cement stuff from the braces (so that they would stick to my teeth) came off and my teeth would be smooth. After that they had me get an X-ray. The machine was cool. After the X-ray, the orthodontist showed me it, she said I have about 5 teeth that might come out soon. I haven't found the other three teeth, but two of my top teeth that are next to each other are loose. After X-rays, they took pictures of my teeth. Then, I had to do a molding for my retainer. She put watermelon flavor in the mixture, then put the molding mixture in a little tray thingy and stuffed it in my mouth. Just so you know, MOLDING STUFF IS ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING! She held it in there for about a minute, then took it out and had my wash out my mouth. When I went to the sink, I had it all over my face. It was up to my eyebrows. The orthodontist let me pick out a retainer design for the flat part of the retainer, and then she said I was done. Yay! I walked out to the lobby and the lady at the front desk stood up and handed me a bottle of sparkling cider, and a bag of candy. Lydia stood up and asked me to smile so I did. She came along because she wanted to be the first one in the family to see me without braces. We walked back to my dad's dentist and waited for him. After that, we went to Macrina Bakery for breakfast pastrys for the whole family. On the way home, we ran into Katrina and Sydney said hi, and continued home. I don't think I'm excited for a retainer, but at least I can take it out and don't have to deal with braces.

5 comments:

Rone' said...

I agree the molding stuff is disgusting! At least yours was flavored instead of just plaster or whatever it is! Congratulations on getting the braces off. You need to post a picture of your pretty smile!!

Rone' said...

I had a retainer. It wasn't too bad after I got used to it.

Meredith Tromble said...

Watermelon, sí, watermelon flavor, Nooooooooo! Thanks for the good reporting -- it took me right back to memories of a Wichita orthodontist and making it through my own braces. I had the same experience as Roné with the retainer -- not a laugh riot but not too bad and, in the long run, worth the trouble. Hoping for a picture of your new smile!

Tanya said...

Maëva would surely agree about the disgustingness of molding stuff. She complained about it being hard to breathe with it in her mouth. But how did you get it up to your eyebrows? Isn't it supposed to stay in the tray?

Rachel said...

Yeah it is, but she pulled out the tray and then had to forcefully pull out the mold. It kind of popped, so maybe that's why.

When I was getting my expander, the mold didn't have a flavor at all so it was horrible.

My dad posted a picture of me.