Thursday, October 1, 2020

Sequestered in Seattle, Day 204

I awoke to fog Thursday morning. It burned off soon enough, but the first of October was not especially warm. The forecast calls for higher temperatures on Friday. Rachel's chia seeds have sprouted wildly, some of the camas sprouts have grown, and something is growing among the tomatillo seeds. At first I was skeptical that it was them, but nothing is growing in the other pots from the same soil, so maybe.

I fed the sourdough this morning, but then forgot to make dough in the evening, so we'll have to find something else for lunch tomorrow.

Nicole had a meeting with the principal this morning, and another PTA event in the evening. The rest of us headed to the farmer's market after piano lessons to get the kids their Seattle Pops reward. They've filled up four weeks of sticker sheets from schoolwork and other activities. After meeting Paola and Flavia and eating our ice cream on a stick, I went back through the market and picked up the last crenshaw melon, some peaches, tomatillos, and peanuts. I'm interested to compare the market tomatillos to ours. I can already see they are smaller.

Back at home we had dinner, Eric did his 90th reading lesson, then everyone but Rachel watched an episode of Our Planet. Rachel was working on language arts homework. She had me read her "show don't tell" writing samples, fifteen of them, which were pretty impressive.

We tried family reading time to finish the night, but there was too much disruption to get very far. We did learn that Eric knows how to crab walk and run in a circle around his hand, and Rachel can walk in wheel pose.

I read today that Texas's governor allowed reductions in ballot drop off locations (to one per county!), so I have confirmation that my prediction about access to voting was correct. I never had much doubt about that one, but I wasn't sure it would be easy to point to cases. It's disheartening that blatant voter suppression can occur so overtly, but I understand the signals from higher up are clear enough that it may stand, and even if it doesn't, it can still have short-term effects.

2 comments:

Tanya said...

Rachel, will you share your favorite "show don't tell"?

ket said...

The version I got in school was "don't state, demonstrate."