Thursday, December 30, 2021

Lascours Lockdown, Day 656

Thursday, December 30th. Happy Birthday to Paul Zunino!

This morning, after homework reading, thank you notes and exercise bike, I left the girls playing Switch and went out on some New Year's Eve grocery errands. As I was at the liquor store for a bottle of champagne, I treated myself to a nice bottle of Glenfarclas scotch as a late Christmas present. It's quite tasty.

After lunch, I continued grading while we waitied for Jackye and Alain to arrive. I managed to get quite a bit done as we were expecting them around two, but they still hadn't arrived at three. The girls and I headed out to the veranda to work on the Harry Potter puzzle while we waited. Shortly before 4, we learned that Jackye was getting a Covid test at 4 and they would come up after. She tested negative. She's had a bad cold since the weekend, but apparently that's all it is this time. We hung out in the wide-open veranda for about an hour. Jackye kept her mask on anyway so as not to spread her cold germs around. This might be one good lasting thing to come out of the pandemic: feeling comfortable enough with mask-wearing to keep one's germs to oneself when ill.

The Lucas-Reys in Limoges all tested negative again today. Jackye gave us the back story on their friend. His daughter had Covid earlier in December. The Tuesday before Christmas, he got his booster shot. The next day, or the day after, he started having symptoms, including loss of smell and taste. His GP assured him it was just a symptom of the booster and nothing to worry about. Caroline and family had dinner with him on the Thursday before Christmas. As his symptoms persisted, he finally decided to get tested on Christmas morning. And the rest is history.

Alain and Jackye brought Maeva a Barbie doll with light blue hair and Laureva a twenty-four color Play-Doh pack, among other gifts. The girls spent the rest of the evening playing with them, using Play-Doh to create a food dish and bed for Barbie's cat and little flowers to decorate a box Maeva chose to keep her wardrobe in.

Covid seems to be tightening the circle around us again. Marie-Elisabeth learned today that our friends Eric and Solange both have Covid. Alain said that three of his soccer players and one of his coaches currently have Covid. I got an email from a student today that she tested positive yesterday and will have to miss the first week of exams. I'm sure there will be quite a few others. The government has decided that students who miss exams due to Covid will be given a makeup exam session within eight weeks of the first session. This is going to be a pain in the ass and create a lot of extra work for everyone . . .

0 comments: