Thursday, December 23, 2021

The Nightmare Before Christmas, or the Importance of Good Plumbing

Thursday morning, I took all the kids downtown to meet Abhinav and Flavia at the Amazon Spheres. Nicole had to stay home to await the garage door repair guy. By the time we returned, about three hours later, the door had been replaced.


The Spheres are a sort of combination alternative workspace and botanical garden. They are open for public tours two Saturdays a month, but if you know someone, you can get in on weekdays with them. Unfortunately, a few of the walkways were inaccessible due to cleaning, but we still got to see many tropical plants, and some fish, too. Here's the Mozambique aloe tree:

Outside the Spheres there was a temporary set of musical light-up seesaws that kids and adults alike enjoyed playing on.

Before heading home we tried to get bubble tea in Fremont, but the doors were locked despite it being after the posted opening time. Holidays and COVID seem equally likely culprits. We went home and had gingerbread with pumpkin butter, instead.

In the afternoon, we had a clogged toilet. Attempted plunging opened the flapper, and water flooded the bathroom before we got it shut off. While Nicole and I were cleaning up, Eric came to tell us that the kitchen ceiling was dripping. I found a bucket and mop. I eventually took apart the light fixture as well. I didn't find any standing water in there. It would be nice to know where the water got through the floor, but that's still a mystery to be investigated. We had extra laundry to do today.

Nicole went to pick up tamales for tomorrow night's dinner and Ethiopian for tonight. She had to wait in line to get the tamales she had ordered. I guess they're popular. The Ethiopian food was still plenty warm when she got home, though. A delicious end to a challenging day.

We watched Klaus again, since we had enjoyed it last year. There were no complaints, which is unusual for a family movie. "A true selfless act always sparks another", the title character says, but one of the lessons of the story is that it works even when it's not selfless.

Before heading to bed, I got started on the cinnamon roll recipe, with help from Lydia and Eric. We just mixed up a starter that I'll use to give the dough tomorrow extra high inoculation, since enriched dough is slower to ferment, especially with sourdough. We'll continue in the morning.

The chapter I read Lydia from Ghosts of Greenglass House was titled "The Importance of Good Plumbing". How did they know?

4 comments:

Roy said...

Huh. So much excitement this afternoon that I forgot Nicole and I walked to the library to return a load of books before the shit hit the fan, or at least the light fixture. The broken blood vessels on my shoulder reminded me.

Tanya said...

Glad it wasn't worse and that it happened before Christmas!

Tanya said...

Is that the chapter about finding a hidden item in the toilet tank? Neither Maeva nor I can remember.

Roy said...

Yes, that's the one.