Monday, January 3, 2022

Is this why they call it White Salmon?

 

It's still snowing a bit at 12:30 pm, but not as heavily as it has been since last night. This is on the back deck, about two feet outside the French door. 

I spent a while this morning running a neighbor's snow blower up and down the drive. He was trying to get his second one working, but it had a sequence of failures, from a loose cable to losing a tread. After a while he took over to finish, and I did some clean-up shoveling at the house. Of course, that was 5 inches ago, so there's more clean-up to do. 

Looks like we're heading from snow to wintery mix. I hope we don't get too much rain too soon, or the wet result will stress roofs and trees.  

As for the name, I read that the Lewis and Clark expedition gave the White Salmon river it's name, a combination of fish running up from the Columbia to spawn, and the white water of the rapids that the river is known for. Another source claims it is the best whitewater rafting in the Northwest. 


3 comments:

Tanya said...

That's a good river naming story. More creative than what you usually get in a simple proper noun.

ET said...

Is it a gas snowblower? I can't stand those.

Galen Tromble said...

Yes Evan, it's a gas snowblower. Hope it doesn't have to be used often. Our little neighborhood is four lots, and the road/drive runs up the middle. Our lot is the SE one. The neighbors up hill at the top of the drive have the snowblowers. I guess it's been their job to do the road clearing mainly. The folks directly behind us (NE lot) were out in the afternoon clearing their parking area, and they also made a pass down and back up the drive. We had a few more inches overnight, though not enough to impede the 4WD vehicles.