Nicole went back to work on Thursday. I dropped her off, after the Coe kids left for school, at Whitman Middle School, in north Ballard, a mile or so farther on from Ballard High School. She was subbing for a long-term sub in an art classroom. She tried to prevent the further decimation of the glue supply, but was only partly successful.
I was home alone for most of the day. When the kids came home, I was in my hiring committee meeting. I had thought it might be over in time for me to take them to Spanish, but we had some difficult packets this week, and it dragged. They were about thirty minutes late. Then it was time to pick up Nicole. Paola picked up Rachel at about the same time.
I went back to work for a bit after we got home, and emerged from the basement just as Nicole was coming in with takeout from Malena's. Then we did a lot of putting things away. You might say we had a sudden stroke of realization that it was time to take down Christmas decorations. I pulled the bins back down from the attic and helped Nicole undress the tree between pages of my book. Then we had the last of our thirteen desserts, which was crackers and cheese, plus a few leftovers. Eric wanted ice cream, but all that's left is in the cake.
Nicole signed up for another job tomorrow, for Lydia's math teacher at Coe. However, Lydia has math at 10:30, and the posting doesn't begin until 11:25. But she also signed up for a full day on Monday, so she'll get to teach Lydia math then. Lydia seems excited.
I was going to make a (very clever, naturally) parallel about January 6 being the day we remember some wise guys showing up uninvited to a place others had peacefully gathered for an important counting, but Wikipedia tells me the Gospel of Luke was confused about the date of the Census of Quirinius, ruining my fun. I managed to fit in a play on the double meaning of epiphany elsewhere, though, so Wikipedia and its sanctimonious adherence to facts can try again another day. I am not so easily emmerdé.
1 comments:
I think it still works. Good one!
Post a Comment