Tuesday, January 25, 2022

Lascours Lockdown, Day 682

Tuesday, January 25th.

The girls asked to be dropped off in the car in front of school today. Maeva makes this request often. It makes her feel mature and independent. Laureva is usally reticent, however, so we don't typically do it. Today, Laureva agreed once Maeva promised to stand next to her. Maeva was supposed to have the same substitute for her Tuesday teacher that she had last week. However, instead, she had a sub for the sub.

The colleague who came down with Covid the day after we proctored together is still out ten days on. I found out today that another colleague was out last week because his adult son who lives at home has Covid and he wasn't feeling too well himself. He is supposed to be back this week, though. I expected to see another colleague today who is also in and using our office on Tuesdays: Richard (who Meredith knows). He wasn't around, however. I hope he hasn't come down with something, but as last week he said he'd see me today, I'm afraid he probably has.

I received notification of another Covid-positive student today. This time, it wasn't from the student themself. For the first time, I was notified by a colleague who's the director of the sophomore program. I imagine the student must have informed the university through the official declaration system and then the information filtered down. The incidence rate in our area is 4,000+ now and the positivity rate is 26+%.

My day at the university went pretty well, apart from an extra round trip to the car up and down four flights of stairs in an attempt to locate a stack of photocopies that I ultimately found in the middle of a pile of exam papers on the desk in my office. Oh well, guess I got some more exercise in.

2 comments:

Nicole Tromble said...

I have been a sub for a sub. I think many students are getting used to having subs and not acting out quiet as badly. Also, when I introduce myself I say I'm their guest teacher. I have this idea that "guest" comes off as something more positive. It sounds better to me too.

Tanya said...

Like a guest speaker who is invited because they have something special to say!