Friday, February 19th.
This morning, I went for a walk with Fred and Harikana. We came across a lot of people arriving for Stéphane Olivier's funeral. Only twenty people were allowed inside the church, but chairs and a speaker were set up outside for others. Something I overheard Guillaume say later in the day led me to understand that there were also a lot of people standing around in the street.
At 11am, I logged into Zoom to be interviewed by my student. She seemed very enthusiastic and appreciative and reiterated her compliments about learning to enjoy translation and literature through my classes. She said she learned a lot of things from my answers to her questions.
After lunch, I found an email saying the mock exam papers I'd ordered printed for Tuesday had already been delivered. I didn't really feel much like working given this week's gloomy news, so I hopped in the car to drive up to Aix to pick up all the mock exam papers. I don't have to be finished grading them until March 10th, but this way I can get started whenever I find the time. On the way home, I stopped by the hardware store for a power strip for Laureva's star alarm clock from Christmas. I recently ordered an adapter for it so as not to eat up tons of batteries, but the adapter cable wasn't long enough for her to place it at the foot of her bed where she wanted.
The girls came out of school full of plans to set their alarms to get up earlier than usual in the morning to work on homework before 7am. As soon as we got home, they took their backpacks downstairs and started setting up their work areas. They didn't ask for snacks as they'd been served gâteau des rois at school. I predict they'll do this once, maybe twice, then that'll be the end of it. We'll see . . .
0 comments:
Post a Comment