Tuesday, February 9, 2021

Sequestered in Seattle, Day 335

Tuesday brought more lovely weather, though the writing's on the wall. The forecast for the rest of the week is cold temperatures and probably snow. That's to be followed by rain next week. In spite of that, I decided to burn four vacation days to join the rest of the family in their week off.


This morning I learned that The Gold Bug Variations is not just an ornate novel, but also a history of science, with long passages describing the state of genetics research when one character came on the research scene. I've known about this book since grad school. I'm somewhat disappointed I waited so long to read it. This will not be my last Richard Powers.

I had meetings all day, but managed to swap out the printer toner in between. Rachel needed to print something. My one-time purchase of generic toner has proven a poor decision. The print quality kept degrading. Replacing with the more expensive Canon toner immediately brought it back to standard. Rachel was pleased with her Washington State map. Her second semester history class is local. I started to tell her how at least six generations of her family have lived in Washington, but we were interrupted, and I forgot.

At lunch, I had another meeting, but Rachel and Lydia went to Coe to play basketball, and then Nicole joined them with the boys. She reported that there were only a couple others there.

My last meeting of the day finished just after 4:30. Nicole had an early dinner ready, so we could depart just after five to walk to dessert. Along 7th Avenue we stopped to watch the sun set over the south end of the Olympics. Dessert was ice cream from Molly Moon's. I had chocolate truffle, which was very rich. I didn't really need that whole scoop, but I managed to get it all down.

Back at home, we rearranged some books, filling in some of the living room shelves that had been vacated on Sunday. Among other things, I moved most of my French fiction upstairs. It had been in the glass cabinet next to the TV. Then Nicole played a few games of Kingdom Builder with her dad.

Colin finished book three of his series last night. As a reward for good behavior, he found book four in a drawer in his room, today. I had procured it on Friday when I picked up Lydia's. Rachel finished The Golden Compass, so she's earned a rebooking. She has in mind one that was released today. This is not a coincidence.

3 comments:

Tanya said...

Rebooking is getting to buy a new book for reading one that was already owned?

Roy said...

Technically it's two for one: they have to read both a book we already owned and one of their new ones. In practice, Rachel is way ahead on new books because she used dog-walking money, allowance, Christmas, etc. to get many more, and read most of them. So, effectively, it will be one-for-one for a while.

mt San Francisco said...

I loved the Golden Compass!