Tuesday morning, we had our exercise at Queen Anne Bowl. Lydia stayed in the car to read. It had rained and the track was wet, but the day was nice.
News today was that the governor suspended for two weeks consideration of moving counties back to Phase 2. Meanwhile, vaccine doses will start to be allocated to meet demand, rather than by population, both at the national level and in Washington State. Also, Seattle evidently will now vaccinate without an appointment at any of the city run sites, like the one we went to. I don't know whether to expect that teenagers will immediately be made eligible here if the approval goes through next week, but if so, Rachel could get her first dose when we go back for our second. That would be convenient.
After lunch, Nicole and I rode bikes to the library and then on to the Avenue. I had a book to pick up, and she a prescription. I finished reading Good Omens this morning on my Kindle, and The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet this evening on paper. I had long puzzled over the title of the latter, but this time found an explanation. Late in the book there are several Japanese names for their country, including "The Land of a Thousand Autumns". Thus it's essentially just "The Japan of Jacob de Zoet", which seems right. I thoroughly enjoyed this second reading. Now I need to catch up on all those library books.
After dinner, the other kids played soccer outside while Nicole, Rachel, and I went for a short walk. Rachel is thinking about doing a project on native plants for her state history class. Nicole and I had all kinds of ideas for her. The ash trees and hawthorns are blooming now. I saw today that our serviceberry also has set a lot of fruit. I had forgotten to check it yesterday. I think the camas will beat the honeysuckle to blooming.
We watched two more Merlin episodes, and then the boys fell asleep to my reading of Treasure Island. Nicole wasn't done with her game, yet, so she asked me to read from Warmth of Other Suns. We began that years ago but never finished because we mostly stopped reading aloud in the evenings. We haven't forgotten the characters, fortunately.
0 comments:
Post a Comment